CLINTON MUSEUM
SOUTH CARIBOO HISTORICAL MUSEUM SOCIETY
CLINTON - BRITISH COLUMBIA
250·459·2442

HOME ABOUT US PROJECTS WHAT'S HAPPENING EXHIBITS ARCHIVES GALLERY CONTACT

SOUTH CARIBOO HISTORICAL MUSEUM SOCIETY
ABOUT US


Email:
Phone: 250.459.2442

1419 Cariboo Highway
Clinton, British Columbia




History of the Clinton Museum


The Clinton museum has occupied its current home in Clinton's 1892 brick School building since 1956. Prior to that, the collection was housed for three years in a shed on the Choate property adjacent to the current () High Bar First Nation Office. A predecessor private museum was maintained by the Payne family, operators of the Pine Tree Auto court in the 1930's & 40's.

It all started with the Payne collection. Many of the artifacts so diligently collected by Mr. Payne are still on display. Here's the Payne collection as it looked in 1949.



Here is a picture of our first Museum, in 1953. Unfortunately, we don't know who the kids are. Can you help?



The South Cariboo Museum Society was organized by a dedicated group on volunteers in the early 1950's.

Through the efforts of this dedicated group, the school/courthouse was acquired from the Provincial Government. This is what the museum looked like when we opened in 1956.





In January of 1989, the South Cariboo Historical Museum Society was formally registered as a Society in the Province of British Columbia.

In 1999, the Society, with the help on many volunteers, moved the 1911 Provincial Government Stables building from the Public Maintenance Yard to its present location behind the museum.








HOME ABOUT US PROJECTS WHAT'S HAPPENING EXHIBITS ARCHIVES GALLERY CONTACT

   
ClintonMuseum.Ca
Contact Us

Site designed and hosted by RORAPH GRAPHICS®
Copyright© - CLINTONMUSEUM.CA - All Rights Reserved.

Site Last Visited: